This page was translated using artificial intelligence and machine learning before being reviewed by a human editor in your native language.
(Pocket-lint) – Xbox Cloud Gaming is now officially available on iPhone and iPad.
And even though it uses the Safari browser, you can add an app icon to your home screen for a full-screen, URL-free experience with just one click at a time.
Here’s how to set it up and what you need.
How do I use Cloud Gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on iOS and iPadOS?
Xbox Cloud Gaming offers over 100 games to stream over the internet at up to 1080p 60 frames per second.
It’s available to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers, so you’ll need to get it first (if you haven’t already). The game costs £10.99 / $14.99 per month and also includes over 300 games for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S, 200 games for Windows PC, all games available on EA Play, and Xbox Live Gold to play online Internet, in addition to exclusive discounts and offers.
Once registered, you must follow the instructions below to get and play Cloud Gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on your iPhone or iPad (see list of compatible devices below).
1. Open the Safari browser and go to xbox.com/play. Note: Although Xbox Cloud Gaming also works in Chrome (and Microsoft Edge), it works best in Safari and you should use that to create an app icon for your home screen.
2. Click Sign In and sign in to your Microsoft account associated with Xbox Game Pass. The Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) welcome screen appears. Look at the bottom of the screen and tap the share button (the square with an up arrow).
3. Scroll down to Add to Home Screen, click on it and a popup will appear with the Cloud Gaming icon and URL. Click “Add” in the upper right corner.
4. You will now have a new app icon on your home screen called “Cloud Gaming”. Click on it and you will be asked to sign in again. The full Xbox Cloud Gaming service will now be available, and all you have to do is open this app icon whenever you want to play in the future. Note: The app icon will appear on your home screen, but it won’t be available in your iPhone’s app library because it’s not a real app.
How do I connect my Xbox Wireless Controller to my iPhone or iPad?
You can play some cloud game titles with an on-screen keyboard, but that’s not ideal and the vast majority of games don’t support it.
Instead, you really need a Bluetooth gamepad. You can get a compatible Razer Kishi or Backbone One board with your iPhone to make it look more like a Nintendo Switch. However, if you have an Xbox Wireless Controller (up to the latest generation), you can use it instead.
You can also invest in a game clip for your device.
To connect the Xbox One/Series X/S to your iPhone, first press and hold the small pairing button on top of the controller until the Xbox logo starts flashing quickly.
Go to your iPhone or iPad’s Bluetooth settings in the main Settings app. You should see your Xbox Wireless Controller appear in Additional Devices. Press it and it should connect – the console light will stop blinking and stay on.
List of iOS and iPadOS devices compatible with Xbox Cloud Gaming
Although Xbox Cloud Gaming may work on older iPhones and iPads, Microsoft guarantees only the following hardware:
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 11 second generation
- The fifth generation of iPad Mini
- The eighth generation of iPad
Written by Rick Henderson. Edited by Max Freeman Mills.